Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 9 - Cutting Out the Crap

As I sit down in front of the computer with my bowl of organic fruit, soy yogurt, sprouted flax seed and hempseed, I realize two very important things. One, don't eat a bowl of blackberries, pineapple, and strawberries right after you brush your teeth. And two, being vegan means that you completely change your idea of snack food.

Now, in trying to be less of a fatty, I am eating lower carb...meaning no processed flours or sugars, and I try to get all of my carbs from Ezekiel bread products and veggies/fruits. This leaves me with very few snack options....or so I thought.

The two times I tried strict veganism before, I was looking for alternatives to my dairy-filled yummies...This was wrong! I now realize that to be a successful vegan, you have to remember what you used to love about natural foods as a child. I realize now that I must become friends again with fruits and raw nuts and incorporate things like home-made smoothies, protein shakes, and banana ice cream right out of my Champion juicer(frozen bananas right through the juicer = banana ice cream), like my mom used to make me. I need a rev-fruit-lution!

But, in order to start this fruit-sade, I need to completely change my mindset. I used to exist solely on bean and cheese burritos....well not solely, but I was starting to grow a brown shell and required frequent baths...but I digress. When I became vegan the first two times, I would attempt to get a bean and salsa burrito..wow! not that good. This is why I failed! ~~ AHA moment..do you hear the chorus of angels? ~~ Okay, focus! I now carry an airtight container of roasted soybeans in my car, and when I stop for a snack I go instantly for something natural.

I really feel like I am going to be able to make this a permanent change. When I was a vegetarian, I felt that it was a compassionate food choice. Being a vegan feels like a lifestyle choice. I now see and feel the difference.

I know I'm a little late on the bus, and I may be the kid in the back wearing the helmet, but we are all going to the same destination, so thank you for your patience for the slow ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome journey you are undertaking... good for you! Thanks for the link!

One of my favorite and very filling vegan snacks is edamame... soybeans still in the pod. Boil or steam them for a few minutes, sprinkle on some of your favorite herbs, spices, salt, nutritional yeast or any combo thereof and you are so good to go. Perfect late night finger food to replace popcorn or anything else far worse!

WCG said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and the edamame tips!